Caring for an aging parent … what you need to know.
Are you over the hill at 50+?
I’ll show you that today’s senior adult is still a vibrant part of the community – active, involved, healthy. But what happens during the aging process? How do you know when it’s time to take control of a loved one’s affairs?Through humor and storytelling, I educate groups about what it means to age gracefully, inform them about resources available to get the best care for an aging parent and laugh a little at the silly things that happen.
- Stay healthy and active in your “golden” years
- Relieve the stress and anxiety of the unknown
- Ensure those in the “sandwich generation” know what resources are available
- Help families deal with caring for an aging parent while working full-time
Aging Beats the Alternative SM
offers a more lighthearted approach to the reality of aging. These programs educate individuals on a range of issues facing adults as they move into the pre-retiree stage of life and beyond.
Contact me to discuss your needs or to just learn a little more.I Want to Know More
Sensible Healthy Aging.
- Understand the physical and mental changes that constitute “normal aging”
- Learn five lifestyle changes you can make to age gracefully and prevent chronic diseases
- List practical steps you can take today to improve your lifestyle and maintain wellness
- Learn that falls often mean an end to independent living for older adults
- Understand risk factors for falls
- Identify five simple ways to minimize risk of falls
- Develop a home safety checklist to prevent falls
Older Adult Driving Issues.
- Understand how normal aging and chronic disease affects driving ability
- Identify five warning signs of unsafe driving in older adults
- Learn strategies to gently convince your aging parent to discontinue driving
What to Do When Your Aging Parent Can No Longer Live Independently.
- Identify the range of care options available when an older adult can no longer live independently
- Understand in-home care options, the costs and how to select a provider
- Learn five tips for selecting the appropriate assisted living facility for your loved one
- Understand the importance of continuing sexual expression to older adults
- Describe five barriers to sexual expression in older adults
- State the incidence of sexually transmitted diseases in older adults
- Learn the complications to sexual expression presented by dementia
- State the three types of elder abuse (physical, psychological and financial)
- Learn the risk factors for elder abuse
- Identify five signs of potential elder abuse
- Describe concrete steps you can take to prevent and report abuse
Understanding Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementias.
- Distinguish between dementia and Alzheimer’s disease
- Understand risk factors and behaviors associated with a decreased risk of developing a dementia
- Learn five counter-intuitive techniques to address problem behaviors in adults with dementia